Although you try to avoid unsightly stains on your carpet, at some point carpet cleaning is inevitable for everyone. Let’s face it-accidents happen. Even when you take every precaution possible, it is impossible to keep every stain from hitting your carpet. Drops of blood, spilled drinks, and accidents from your pets are the most common causes of carpet stains. So, what do you do when you are faced with tough carpet stains? While it is important that you do not let your tough carpet stains set in, it is equally as important to assess your stain and make sure you treat it in the right way. Here are some effective ways to make sure you are performing your carpet cleaning efforts the right way.
Carpet Cleaning for Pet Stains
Pet stains can be frustrating. Not only are they terrible to look at, they could be embarrassing when you have unexpected company. The focus of carpet cleaning for pet stains is to make sure you clean the stain and eliminate any odor that might come with the stain. Below are ways to clean out pesky pet stains:
- Clean up the initial mess. If there is debris left behind, use gloves to pick it up and dispose of it. If the stain is wet, blot the stain to soak up any moisture that is left behind. Continue to blot the stain until it is almost dry and the stain is removed.
- If a stain is already dry, you will need to moisten it. Apply a carpet stain cleaning product that is specific for pet stains. Once you have moistened the stain, let the cleaning product soak in for a few minutes and continue with the blotting method. Repeat as necessary until the stain is removed.
- To neutralize any odor associated with pet stains, try using white vinegar. Mix a ¼ cup of vinegar with a quart of warm water and spritz it on the stain. Allow it to soak and then proceed with the blotting method until the stain is gone and the spot dries.
- Another method is to mix a quart of water with stain fighting laundry detergent. Make it into a spritz. Spray on the stain and let it soak. Blot until the stain is mostly dry. Rinse with warm water and repeat as necessary until the stain is removed.
Carpet Cleaning for Blood Stains
Blood stains are often a stressful stain to deal with, but blood stains are not as bad as they appear. Treat blood stains as promptly as possible. The faster you act with blood stains, the more effective your removal method will be. Let’s look at some tricks for cleaning out blood stains:
- Always use cold water when dealing with blood because blood coagulates with heat. Cold prevents blood from permeating the fibers in carpets.
- Fill a spritz bottle with 2 teaspoons of grease fighting liquid detergent and cold water. Spray the stain liberally, so it is completely soaked. Use a paper towel or a white cloth to blot the stain. Rinse the stain with cold water and repeat until the stain is removed.
- OxiClean is a great bleach-free product to fight blood stains. Use a bottle to apply the stain remover or a dropper to drop directly on the stain. Blot until the stain is dry, rinse, and repeat until the stain is gone.
- Remember, dealing with blood stains takes persistence. Keep at the stain until it is gone.
Carpet Cleaning for Coffee Stains
Coffee stains can make your carpet look filthy. Their yellowish, brown color can leave your carpets looking pretty disgusting. Here are some tricks to cleaning coffee stains:
- Dry the spot with a white towel. Change cleaning cloths as they become saturated. This helps to prevent pushing the stain further into the carpet.
- Mix vinegar, water, and a non-bleach detergent into a spritz bottle, rinse the stain, repeat until the stain is removed.
Most techniques for carpet cleaning are safe, easy, and effective to remove stains. However, even if you clean stains as fast as possible, and use the right methods, some carpet cleaning methods are not enough to get your carpet stain-free. In this case, it is best to call a professional carpet cleaning service to get your carpet looking like new. Your carpet is a big financial investment. Make sure you are extending the life of your investment by treating carpet stains and odors in the most effective way.